Friday 5 August 2011

Stu vs The Research

If people actually read my ramblings then you'll know I've finally submitted my A1 for the WB's children's writing course. This logically leads onto to A2 (I know I bet your as shocked as I was). Whereas the first was all about characters, and as there are so many stored in my head, seemed easy to write (though more difficult to hone), this second one is actually requiring some thought; it revolves around story and plot.

So I've taken it upon myself to do some research while off on summer holidays; yes being a teacher has its perks. Now my local library has proven to be quite crappy in the past and it didn't fail to surprise me yesterday either. All I managed to pick up was Cabbages From Outer Space (yes it is as bad as it sounds) and The Day of the Monster Pigeons, which I have yet to sample but should be more appropriate.

Waterstones yielded a greater selection of books and a hunt on Amazon has found them at more affordable prices so will be making a bulk order over the weekend. I'm hoping to find a gap in the market with a series of space-based stories for 5-7 year olds. I have a couple of fantasy-based ideas for the others. More info to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment