Sunday 4 December 2011

Stu vs Writer's Bureau Assignment 2

Progress Update:

I've already given you people a sneaky peek at the synopsis for my science fiction novel for kids and was really shocked at the feedback I was getting. But alas, assignment 2 for my Writer's Bureau course doesn't end there. It is actually split into about six parts and I'm slowly ticking each one off. Below is my next synopsis aimed at children aged between 7 and 9 and takes place in a prep school with some hidden secrets. Once again read and enjoy and as always comments and criticism is not only welcome but encouraged.


The Stationary Store-Room Adventures (7-9)
Nathan and his friends, Snotty Fred and twins Ruben and Holly, are bored, having played with their Christmas presents constantly for the last few weeks. So in a moment of madness they decide they need supplies and plan a raid on the school’s stationary room during a lunch break. Their raid is successful but one of the stolen maths books becomes enchanted.

During lunch they take stock of their hoard and begin planning what to do with it. Fred reaches for the enchanted maths book and begins to create a maze full of traps and monsters using the squared paper. As Nathan hides the stolen goods and Fred is nearing completion, the paper begins to fold out on itself encompassing the four friends and they find themselves at the start of Fred’s maze. As Fred tries to remember how to get to the exit they are attacked by a ghoul. They manage to escape but get lost in the process.
As they make their way blindly through the paper maze they find that by drawing weapons on the walls and then cutting them out they come to life and use them against the hoards of creatures of the maze. As they come upon what looks like an endless plain of paper Fred realises he never finished the maze. To escape Nathan cuts a hole in the floor with the scissors and upon jumping through they find themselves on the sports field with only a few minutes left until registration.


I have to say with a word cap of just 250 words I felt I didn't do the story justice, but I'll be working on it during subsequent assignments. I'm hoping I can edit my final synopsis down enough and get it up on here over the next couple of days. At the moment my word count is waaaaay to high. I'll also be adding these tasters to my website (see to the right for a link that will take you whizzing over to it).

No comments:

Post a Comment