Thursday 29 December 2011

Stu vs. Christmas

Well folks as 2011 comes to an end I have actually found time to reflect on a few things. The first of which is Christmas. Now this is the first proper 'Copping Christmas' I've been involved in for 8 years. The last few times I've spent Christmas with my side of the family we've been in Florida. Although I had not forgotten how hectic it can get and how we are always swimming in presents, this was my wife's first taste of it all. It didn't disappoint.

This was our son's first Christmas and days before my brother and wife brought us the gift of a niece, Lyla. We were very excited to get to see her too. My wife is very organised so there was no last minute present dashes for people. Although on Christmas Eve-eve-eve (yes that is its official title) I was putting the last finishing touches to a present and in doing so destroyed my laminator beyond repair. This little mishap meant Ruth had to shoot into work on her day off to complete my awesome present for Dad.

Our journey to the parentals was slow but uneventful and we managed to fit presents et al in the car along with a moses basket for our little niece. My brother's car was a little more chocka (I will try and find a hilarious photo of this which had my sister-in-law wedged in the back).

So Christmas Eve arrived and the presents mounted. I thought we were quite reserved. My other family members had other ideas. For example my aunt dropped off 11 (yes 11) bags of presents just from her. Hence the tight fit in my brothers car. Strangly enough no-one seemed to get too hammered that evening. I think we were just too knackered.

I was up early on Christmas Day in anticipation for my son's early rise... It never came. He slept right through leaving a tired Daddy come breakfast time. TYPICAL. Now for as long as can remember we've haven't done traditional stockings at Christmas. Instead everyone get's everyone else a present or two that cost £1. This usually means an obscene amount of crappy presents that get lost on the way home. I was however suprised with my hall this year. Out of the 10 I received I think I've kept over half. My favourite being a map of Discworld. Bargain.

This went on until midday. We started at 10. When most people have ripped of paper and packaging and getting to play with shiny new toys our fun is just beginning. Now this went on until 4ish when we stopped for 'lunch' and then carried on once more until 10pm. I got a huge number of children's books which I intend to plough through this year, along with some PS3 games and a few Blu-rays which should also keep me entertained until my birthday in May.

I was more shocked with Nathan, who took in his first Christmas with awe. He wasn't too interested in presents, that I'm sure will happen next year, but he behaved excellently and monopolised his Grandad throughout the day. He got some excellent bath toys that we've already tried out.

Boxing Day was spent setting up my Mum's new IMac. I want one now, they're awesome. There were also more presents to open and lots of food to eat and I was all to happy to oblige. We then headed home on the 27th with more stuff than we came with.

That was out Christmas in a nutshell. It was great to spend it with family and see old friends (Bex your son is great). I've already read about other people's Christmas' and it looks like everyone has thoroughly enjoyed themselves this year.

Here's to a cracking 2012!! Happy New Year readers

No comments:

Post a Comment