Wednesday 30 November 2011

Stu vs. NaNoWrimo: As One Thing Ends....

Another continues....

So I gave up on my nano, no not given up but shelved for a time, and gave myself a few weeks off the writing. Until yesterday when I got back on the metaphorical saddle, picked up a pencil and began Assignment 2 of my Writer's Bureau course. The blue sheet of paper has been pinned to my notice board for six months. So I dusted it off and began working on writing synopses for three possible book ideas.

I've now written them all, one completed, the other two in draft form with too many words so will need to edit. I'm going to share one with you now. This is an idea for a book aimed at 5-7 year olds and I would love to know what you think. My tutor believes sci-fi for younger children is a very hard sell. Now I've done my research and I'm out to prove her wrong.

So here it is. My synopsis for Captain Cosmo: Intergalactic Space Explorer:

Captain Cosmo and his childhood robot friend Bal-4 have been asked by the Space Museum of Extraordinary Living Life-forms (SMELL) to track down the Gurdulfozer. In return he will be paid and receive a lifetime supply of Super Zombie Attack credits and get his own action figure.

So they head of to the Gemmi Nebula, believing they find the creature there. However along the way his stasis pod malfunctions, he wakes believing he is heading out for a vacation and sets down on the nearest planet to the sun. Bal-4, awake the whole journey plays along as he knows this is the correct place.
On arrival they are met by a race of small beings known as the Putrefowl. They try to enlist Cosmo in their fight against Kiro who has begun enslaving them. Slightly annoyed that it is getting in the way of his vacation he offers to help. Cosmo agrees to take the Path of Five, a series of tests, to free the Putrefowl. He passes the first four challenges Kiro sets him; the dagger pits, glacial climb, eating fire chillies and game of ape swing. The final challenge is to battle the Gurdulfozer to the death. Instead he sets it free, causing Kiro to flee the planet. The Putrefowl hold a feast in Cosmo’s name, then he and Bal-4 leaves with the Gurdulfozer and return to SMELL. After collecting their prize they decide to go on a real vacation.

If you are at all interested in my other stuff you can get a sneak peek on my website http://awritersblock.weebly.com/ and click on the projects tab. If you can wait the other synopses will be up on my blog tomorrow.
Enjoy and goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment